See attached .pdf file
This week I finally found a source for an I-beam to make a lifting rig for the old generator and starboard engine. I'd found the rest of the gear for hoisting (chain hoist, beam trolley, etc.) for a reasonable price (yay, Harbor Freight!).
This spring (while waiting for penerating oil to penetrate the stuck piston in the starboard engine) I put together a fuel polishing and distribution system for Blanca.
I had an issue with water in the fuel tanks-- they sat mostly empty all winter, and when I started the port engine, the water separator did its thing. I had to shut down and empty the sludge bowl every 3 minutes or so! I'd been ruminating about a fuel polishing system, so I decided to move that up in the schedule.
Awhile back, I discovered that Blanca's sister ship (the other of only two made) was docked in Alameda, California. She (oddly, named "Gypsy") recently underwent a change of ownership and was relocated to Ohio. I've traded emails and phone-calls with the owners, and they shared some pictures of her as she was being relocated. So strange, to see "my boat" (with slight differences), being partly disassembled and trailered!
See attached .pdf
Roper has finished her spring haul-out. Major work included plumbing the fuel, water, and exhaust lines for the diesel generator, and adding an anchor windlass and roller, a new Furuno 500 autopilot, and one more antenna for an AirMar flux-gate compass and GPS for the autopilot. Profound thanks to the energetic and capable Brendan Burke of the St Augustine Lighthouse & Museum; to IMH stalwarts Cynthia Loden Dowdle, Isabel Mack, Dawn Cheshaek, Kebret Andarge, John Dowdle, Kirk Pierce, and David Wright; and to Rick Meatyard and his gallant crew at Tall Timbers Marina.
2013 fieldwork schedule:
February & March --
sidescan sonar training on weekends
boat maintenance on weekdays
dive & map sites in Potomac River or
Chesapeake Bay on first 2 weekends
boat hull and engine work after 11 April
boat hull and engine work until 9 May
underway 11 May for Georgia and Florida
scan sites in Georgia
arrive St Augustine FL on 25 May
LAMP field school in FL
17th century site in MD
After the high of getting "Patty" started last month, I spent the long Thanksgiving weekend tearing into "Selma", stripping her down and removing the cylinder head. Let's just say it wasn't quite as clean inside as the port engine. I knew I was in for something more "interesting" since I've never been able to turn the crankshaft with a wrench like I could on the other one. So I was rewarded with some "pumpkin pie" rust in cylinder #2.
My apologies for the long interval since my last entry, but I haven't really had any *visible* progress until this week.
I've been working on the port engine ("Patty"-- the starboard one is "Selma") since March. This included removing all the engine components including the cylinder head. I was prepared to do a complete overhaul, including pistons, sleeves, rings, etc. but I discovered that would require pulling the engine, which I hadn't planned to do. In any case, once removing the head, the pistons and sleeves looked clean enough not to need that attention.
A copy of the report on our third field session (Sept.-Oct. 2012) is attached. I hope we can go back in the spring and continue work.