Pumpkin Pie - Blanca, 17Dec2012

After the high of getting "Patty" started last month, I spent the long Thanksgiving weekend tearing into "Selma", stripping her down and removing the cylinder head.  Let's just say it wasn't quite as clean inside as the port engine.  I knew I was in for something more "interesting" since I've never been able to turn the crankshaft with a wrench like I could on the other one.  So I was rewarded with some "pumpkin pie" rust in cylinder #2.

starboard bare blockstarboard bare block

Blanca Speaks! - Blanca, 19Nov2012

My apologies for the long interval since my last entry, but I haven't really had any *visible* progress until this week.

I've been working on the port engine ("Patty"-- the starboard one is "Selma") since March.  This included removing all the engine components including the cylinder head.  I was prepared to do a complete overhaul, including pistons, sleeves, rings, etc. but I discovered that would require pulling the engine, which I hadn't planned to do. In any case, once removing the head, the pistons and sleeves looked clean enough not to need that attention.

Pedigree - Blanca, 07Mar2012

Exciting news!  I was doing my usual weekday time-waster: googling around for "motorsailer", "Ta Chiao" (the builder) or "Perkins" (the engines), etc.  and stumbled across a forum entry at by one Brian Eiland, a boat designer here in the DC area.  He had apparently seen Blanca (previously "Gypsy") on the hard at Tall Timbers, and wondered who designed her.Rhodes Discoverer AdRhodes Discoverer Ad

Cabin Progress - Blanca, 04Mar2012

I've been remiss again-- haven't updated this since last fall.  But I've been busy all "winter"  (Hardly a winter we had this year-- no snow and only a handful of freezing days.  But, who am I to complain!)

First, I finished the under-waterway compartments.  Here's a couple pictures of the completed product (except for paint).starboard waterway completestarboard waterway complete  

port waterway completeport waterway complete


Still Here - Blanca, 11Sep2011


It's been almost a year since my last entry here-- sorry!  Work has progressed on Ballena Blanca, even though I almost uniformly forget to take pictures of the results.  Finally, here's somewhat of a progress report.

Launched! - Blanca 29sep2010

Ballena Blanca launched today!  all wetall wet



We did decided on a red stripe for the boot-top... here she is a with a little bling last month:red stripered stripe

Yup, still white - Blanca 17jul2010

Topside sanding's done, so I broke out the paint this weekend.  It was only about 95 degrees-- why not?  I managed to get primer and 2 coats of Brightsides on the starboard side.  The port side and transom will have to wait a few weeks.

Here she is, taped and ready to go:ready for paintready for paint

Pretty-ness - Blanca 22may2010

This weekend I decided to do some clean-up.  Perform a Pretty-ness on the boat.  Basically a motivational activity to keep my spirits up.

So I broke out the power-washer and went to town on the teak.  I can hear the collective gasp of all you old salts out there about destroying the precious teak!!  Don't worry-- I'll probably never do this again.  And I can't think of another way to scrape through 20+ years of pine-tree poo to actually get down to wood.

Here's the results:

Hosiery - Blanca 15may2010

Now that the spring archaeology projects are out of the way (specifically, the Roper's biennial haul and the much-touted Mount Vernon survey), I've gotten back to working on the Gypsy Blanca in earnest. 
This weekend was devoted to ripping out all the rotted hose that was connected to the deck scuppers.  Instead of draining over the side through thru-hull fittings at the waterline, all the rain from the deck was running into the bilge.  And of course, if she were in the water, the slightest roll or wave would was

Syndicate content